We all know we are supposed to eat healthy and nutritious foods. But what if we are trying to conceive (TTC)—are there things we can adjust?
Thankfully, there are many natural ways to promote fertility!
These ways are not meant to replace talking with your doctor and they will not guarantee you’ll get pregnant, but the suggestions are free, have virtually no side effects, and sets the foundation for healthy eating habits. That sounds like a win-win-win!
- Choose slow carbs, instead of avoiding carbs. Whole grains, vegetables, whole fruits, and beans are better options than carbs that are digested quickly. Making the choice for slow carbs controls blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Pick a vegetable protein. Instead of getting your protein from meat for every meal, choose beans, peas, soybeans, tofu, or nuts instead.
- Take a multivitamin. Make sure your vitamin has folic acid. You will want to take 400 micrograms a day.
- Avoid trans fats. Trans fats are usually found in fried foods, processed products, baked goods, and margarine. Studies have shown that a diet high in trans fats and low in unsaturated fats was linked to infertility.
- Water, water, water! Keep your body hydrated by drinking water. Coffee, alcohol, and tea are okay in moderation and avoid sugary sodas.
The journey of trying to conceive can be really exhausting, and many times it feels like we are not in control. But eating right is one thing we can do to promote fertility health. So, pick up a few almonds, and head to embryoadoption.org if your journey is leading you to embryo adoption!